Friday, April 27, 2012

What Do We Eat Now? - Breakfasts





I want to preface these posts on "What Do We Eat Now?" with a comment that the lists I am providing are in NO way meant to create a burden for anyone or put out there some expectation that this is how everyone should eat. Some of you will view what we eat and think, "wow - that sounds like a lot of work or so healthy." Others might think, "wow - we eat so much healthier than the Harrangs do - they have a lot of growing to do." And more yet will say, "sounds like how we eat. Nothing exciting to look at." It doesn't really matter to me which camp you are in. My goal is not to try to tell anyone how they must eat, but rather to share our journey and provide resources that can help you on yours. Just want to put that out there.

Now that our family has landed on a whole foods, dairy-free, gluten-free & citrus-free diet, you might be wondering what our meals look like. I am always so interested in what is served on the plates of other families for meals. This is partly because I am just naturally curious and partly because I am always looking for new meal and snack ideas. Before I give you the low down on breakfasts here in our home I want to mention a couple of things:

* Because I am pumping a whole lot right now to give my baby breast milk (that is a whole other story) I am currently unavailable in the morning to make breakfasts for my family. So breakfasts are being provided by my most amazing husband Nik. I just want to send out a huge thanks to him for stepping up and serving us in this way through this season. I love you honey!

* We have the same basic weekly breakfast menu. But a couple times a year I change things up either out of boredom or because of new things I am learning and implementing.

* Most of what we eat is organic with just a few exceptions. I feel like what we eat is pretty basic but it is more so the ingredients we use that make the difference in what we eat now.

So here is what we are currently eating for breakfast. We have four different meals that we eat either once or twice a week each:

1. Homemade granola served with a coconut milk smoothie. We have this once a week. I was serving gluten-free organic boxed cereal but was wanting to switch over to something a little healthier. I found this recipe and we have been loving it! It is actually very simple to make (I make a big batch every 2 or 3 weeks). I do add a bit of coconut oil to the recipe for needed fats for the nursing mama and little kiddos and I use pomegranate juice instead of the lemon juice and raw honey in place of the agave.

2. Eggs (usually cooked over easy) with Coconut Flour Muffins and a drink made with beet kvaas or this green food supplement. At some point I will discuss the kind of eggs we use as this too has changed with time. As far as the drink goes I use it to get greens into the kiddos for breakfast or the wonderful natural probiotics found in beet kvaas. If I ever need to do breakfast myself I will soft boil the eggs ahead of time and then this becomes a 5 minute meal! We have this meal a couple times a week.

3. Oatmeal served with chia seeds and raisins. Although we are in general gluten free, I have found that Joel can tolerate regular oats just fine, so thankfully we don't have to spend the extra money on GF oats. We usually eat this two times a week. We have also done a raw oatmeal made from oat groats which is a huge hit with the kids. I have veered away from this a little though because even though I would soak the groats overnight, oats are more easily digested if soaked and cooked.

4. Pancakes made with whole grain buckwheat. We make these in the blender. They are so delicious and I am serious, you would NEVER guess that they were gluten free (and they have no added sugar either!). This is a recipe I will share in the future. We have these twice a week and freeze the extras for snacks during the week.

So that is it for breakfasts. If you have any healthy and easy breakfast ideas, please do share!




No comments:

Post a Comment