Friday, March 22, 2013

Yummy GAPS Tomato Sausage Stew



At the time I am writing this, we are about 3 weeks into the GAPS diet. Our stomachs seem to be doing great! Joel was having some tummy problems the first couple of weeks but they have improved this week. We have been dealing with sniffles for the past two weeks which is frustrating, but that might be an issue of us working out our probiotics since the colds appeared immediately after switching to a new brand. I don't think it is merely that we caught colds because it doesn't ever take us this long to get over colds. But who knows? I am praying we will get over this hump soon!

Anyway, I am continuing to experiment with lots of new recipes. Today for lunch we had a yummy sausage tomato stew which I also made a couple of weeks ago. This is very simple and easy to make, and for us it just hits the spot. Today I made the whole recipe for the sauce, but I decided to halve the sausage and freeze half of the sauce for a later time. I served the stew with snap peas on the side and some various leftovers we had in the fridge. The first time I made it I added peas to the stew and served it with a salad.

Tomato Sausage Stew (GAPS-friendly)


Ingredients:


  • 2 lbs sausage* (beef or other kind)
  • 1 - 24 oz bottle strained tomatoes (I use this brand)
  • 1/2 onion, quartered or coarsely chopped
  • 2 medium zucchinis, cut up
  • 3 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • additional spices (I just added a 1/2 tsp or so of basil)

Directions:

  • Brown sausage in a medium skillet or stainless steel pan
  • Meanwhile add the rest of the ingredients to a blender or vitamix
  • Blend until you have a smooth puree
  • Add the tomato sauce to the pan and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low for 5-10 minutes. I just for 5 because we were in a hurry to eat and it turned out just fine.
*One note on the sausage - almost all store bought sausage has sugar added, which is NOT Gaps legal. Whole Foods does sell some sugar free sausage, but you have to be careful about the ingredients. I have opted just to make our own sausage, which is also a cheaper option, by adding a spice blend to ground beef or pork or lamb. I modified a recipe I found online and will post it at some point soon :). 



No comments:

Post a Comment